Wednesday, February 2, 2011
My Favorite Henna Mix Recipe of All Time
1 cup of Nupur Henna
1 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
1 Tsp Honey (or Agave Nectar)
Instructions (if your hair is longer than mine, you will want to increase this recipe):
- Place henna in plastic or glass bowl
- Pour enough coconut milk and stir (with a plastic or wooden spoon) until the thick, muddy consistency is achieved
- Stir in the grapeseed oil
- Add honey or agave nectar (I use whatever I have on hand) and stir
- Wash/cleanse hair first
- Apply mix to damp hair, in sections and using plastic, latex or vinyl gloves (or you'll have orange palms and nails for a few weeks) and leave on for at least 30 mins. Heat is optional. I don't use it.
- Rinse with just water first. This will get most of henna out. Then apply (cheapie) conditioner or a gentle shampoo/cleanser to get the rest out. Repeat as many times as necessary till water runs clear. I like to use a gentle cleanser and only have to apply once to get the remaining henna out.
NOTE: I DON'T USE HENNA FOR COLOR so my mixes are not for that. Please keep that in mind if you try it out. This mix leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and defined and rinses out like a dream. Remember, this is not the end all be all henna recipe; there are MANY. This is just my favorite one, after trying and creating many different recipes of my own over time. Tweek it however you see fit. For more information on henna and how to get started, please visit http://www.hennaforhair.com/ I learned everything I know about henna from there.
I try to do a henna treatment once a month. I apply mine right away after mixing because I am not going for the color effects (I wouldn't get any anyway) and leave it on for 30 minutes at most. Sometimes I leave it in longer but those times that I do are just outta sheer laziness. Hehe. :D
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
If you'd like to donate to the site, the proceeds will go to funding more awesome giveways.